Wednesday, October 15, 2008

1988 World Series

While sitting down at school today I saw something that brought back some childhood memories. On a TV close to where I was sitting, game 1 of the 1988 World Series was being shown. Even though I was only 9 years old at the time, I remember watching that game on TV with my dad.
A little background before I go on. When I was a kid, there was no Major League Baseball in Phoenix. My dad had grown up a Giants fan, because of the team's ties to Phoenix (the Firebirds were San Francisco's AAA team), so I was a Giants fan as well. And, because of the proximity to LA, most Dodgers games were televised in Arizona. So, in spite of the fact that I hated the Dodgers, I grew up watching a lot of Dodger baseball games. And, even though I was only 9 at the time, and liked neither team, I was very familiar with both the Dodgers and the A's.
Back to the story - I happened to sit down as the bottom half of the ninth was starting. It was great listening to the announcers' disbelief as Kirk Gibson limped to the plate. He took a couple weak hacks and fouled a couple balls off. When he hit a ground ball up the first base line that eventually rolled foul, he hobbled toward first base like an 85 year old man. He eventually worked the count to 3-2, and hit the famous game-winning home run. The best part, that I can clearly remember from 20 years ago, was the look on Dennis Eckersley's face as he watched the ball sail over the right field wall. It's one of the best sports moments of my lifetime, made better by the fact that I can remember watching it live when I was a kid. And although I've never cheered for the Dodgers, that game made me a Kirk Gibson fan. Interesting note - Gibson is now a bench coach with the D-Backs.

John Stossel has another good column. This time he writes on the myth that deregulation caused the financial crisis.
I'm very disappointed that I will miss the debate tonight because of class. I haven't been able to watch one yet - I usually just get to listen to Hugh Hewitt's post-debate show on the way home from class. Oh well, it's not like Barack Obama was going to somehow convince me to vote for him tonight anyway.

No comments: